Spark Drivers COM Port Chaining

This section allows you to vote for new features that may be implemented into Clarity.
Forum rules
You have to be logged in to be able to vote.
This section lists feature requests with polls. You can:
  • Vote for the feature to increase its priority and discuss how it should be implemented.
  • How to vote? Just log in to your forum account and the voting options will appear.
  • If you have not found your desired feature here, create a new thread for it.
  • You will not be able to create the poll yourself, but after the checking of the suggestion, we will create the poll for you.
We do take this poll seriously, however it is not the only source of priorities for the development.

Do you want to be able to connect Spark pumps and Spark column oven over same COM line as Alias?

Yes.
100%
No.
No votes

Total votes: 1

thoblerone

Spark Drivers COM Port Chaining

Post by thoblerone »

I've just tried testing the new Spark drivers in a customers lab where there is a nice system having ACE, HPD, Autosampler, Pumps and Thermostat. This are five instruments, all are controlled by RS232. The standard configuration for these systems is that one of them is attached to the computer with a single COM serial port while the other systems are chained to each other using the second RS232 port on the systems communication boards. The controlling computer needs a single COM Port. This setup works well and reliable in other software environments including the original Spark Software and with the Analyst integration.

Unfortunatly in Clarity 5 the drivers are designed in a way that once a device is configured it blocks the availabily of the same COM port for the other instruments. The only exception is that ACE (SPE cardrige exchanger) and HPD (syringe pump) can share a COM Port.

Unfortunatly for using Clarity this results in massive recabeling of existing systems and handling multiple COM Ports extensions. I fear that from the end user point of view communication port configuration issues will overhelm the advantage of having direct connection of each device. Furthermore I think customers getting a trial on Clarity for a Spark system will not allow the reconfiguration of existing and evaluated hardware.

I strongly recommend reworking the Spark drivers that they can be configured using a single COM Port and use the chaining possibility.

Best regards
Thomas
Thomas Blenkers

Daniel Mentlik
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

Re: Spark Drivers COM Port Chaining

Post by Daniel Mentlik »

Dear Thomas,
this is something which is already in the making. Spark ACE and HPD can work on the same COM port currently is more like a bug, however for the version 5.0.1, Clarity should be able to work with the ACE, HPD and Alias over a single COM port and synchronize the events of these devices without the need to use synchronization wires. So far, however, we do not have plans to allow pumps/thermostat to be able to use the same COM port. Therefore, I am adding poll for allowing the pumps and thermostat be available over the same COM line too.

I may offer a solution of using MultiCOM converter, which conveniently has 6 COM ports available over USB line.
Daniel Mentlí­k
DataApex