Connecting to an MSsql Database

You can discuss anything concerning Clarity in this section.
pjones2

Connecting to an MSsql Database

Post by pjones2 »

is it possible for dataapex to connect to and mssql server/mdf file)

regards paul jones
Paul Jones

Daniel Mentlik
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

Re: Connecting to an MSsql Database

Post by Daniel Mentlik »

Dear Paul,
can you please describe in more details in which situation you would need Clarity to connect to mySQL database?
What should Clarity do with a mdf file?

Best Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Mentlí­k
DataApex

pjones2

Post by pjones2 »

hi

it is not an MySQL Database, it is a Microsoft SQL database (used with Microsoft SQL server, used with VB.net and C#.net). we have an instrument that generates lots of data that is stored in one of these databases, can clarity show the data from this database by connecting to it.

the reason for this is that we are trying to interface our instrument with another customer that uses your software however our instrument has a different control/data system (uses databases as above) it would be extremely useful for us if we can send the data in the database to your software for presentation.

regards Paul Jones
Paul Jones

Daniel Mentlik
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

Post by Daniel Mentlik »

Dear Paul,
sorry for seeing different thing than was written.
The explanation have shed more light into the matter, but I am still somewhat struggling in finding proper answer. Generally:
  • If Clarity should be interfaced with other software using MsSQL database, then there is currently no interface to get the data in to/out off Clarity natively in MsSQL. Clarity supports imports and exports in some common data exchange formats, these imports and exports can be automated. This means that in case the software in question can get the data into the intermediate common format, it can also force Clarity to import them in return or vice versa
  • If Clarity should be interfaced with chromatography device using MsSQL database (which your reply seems to suggest, but I do not know of any chromatography device using the MsSQL), then it is all the same as any other chromatography device. In order to interface it with Clarity, a dedicated driver must be created. We do not care about what interface it will have, so MsSQL is as good as RS232, USB, LAN or anything in our respect. The dedicated control driver will handle the interfacing to the database. Regarding the driver development, more can be found here.
From the above, if you have a chromatography device using software based on MsSQL, the options are to interface Clarity to the software (leaving imports and exports) or to the instrument itself (omitting the software completely, and typically in this case omitting the MsSQL too).
I hope this helps.
Daniel Mentlí­k
DataApex

pjones2

Post by pjones2 »

it seems the best option would be to have clarity send request to the other software for data, the other data converts that data to a format acceptable to it (i assume CSV would be acceptable) so that the data can then be displayed for the user via clarity.

i assume the sdk uses a com object for the software to connect to it.
if so can clarity send request for data via this COM object

regards paul
Paul Jones

Daniel Mentlik
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

Post by Daniel Mentlik »

Dear Paul,
basically it still depends on which data you want imported into Clarity.
Without building a dedicated driver, Clarity can import a sequence table (prescription for further measurements) or already measured chromatogram (a record of already measured run done by other software). These can be imported from CSV format for example, yes.
Other than that, any other data can be passed into Clarity only using a dedicated Control Module. Typical control modules directly communicate with the Instruments, but there is nothing that would prohibit them in communicating with a software instead (several such drivers are prepared for Clarity and will be deployed in next release).
Again, typically a control driver provides some data during the run to create chromatograms from, be it detector data or some auxiliary flows etc., and/or allow to set the Instrument method. I can imagine a control module which would, instead of this, provide some input to write into a particular place and make it available to the chromatogram. Similar control drivers are already also created, for example a driver for barcode readers which scan the barcode and enter it into the sample information, and are totally passive during the analysis run. Instead of simple barcode, a control module is able to create a custom table in the chromatogram holding pretty much anything, so generally you can get the information in this way. All depends on what data you want to get inside.

Please remember that Clarity is a chromatography software, so in case something not directly chromatography based may be more difficult to get inside.
Daniel Mentlí­k
DataApex

pjones2

Post by pjones2 »

Thanks for the reply

The purpose i am looking for is to have data apex show a series of result. A sequence table table but the sequence would have been run elsewhere. presentation of the chromatagraph would be useful (we have 3 channels, possibly upto 5) i think with the combination of data export and dedicated Control Module we would be able to use data apex to show the results from our system and possibly creating a run table to import into our system. this is something i will discuss here.
Paul Jones

Daniel Mentlik
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

Post by Daniel Mentlik »

Hi Paul,
sorry for the delay in reply, I was out of office till today.
What you describe is possible, though non-standard. We are ready to discuss ideal implementation of such feature and advise on the feasibility, but for that we will definitely need more details, ideally with data examples. If you would be interested in further discussion, please send us an email to support@dataapex.com with precise description, the data example you would like to see in Clarity and any other information related to the case.
Daniel Mentlí­k
DataApex