File read error

You can discuss anything concerning Clarity in this section.
hselia

File read error

Post by hselia »

Hello,

I just copied some files from one PC to another to open them in my new Clarity offline version (university).
It's not possible to open them, all files give a "file read error".
The demo data which came with the software work fine.

What I did so far without success:
  • I created the same user on both systems
  • I changed file permissions and owner
  • I copied a file into the demo data directory and tried to open
  • I tried both ftp and usb stick for file transfer
  • I tried to open in different ways (menu, double click in explorer)
I'm sure it's only a simple thing, but I'd be glad if someone could help me... ;)

EDIT: I just noticed that the clarity versions differ. I'll update and try again.
Gerd Klaassen

Daniel Mentlik
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

Re: File read error

Post by Daniel Mentlik »

Dear Gerd,
thank you for letting us know. Straight from the top of my head there are two options that come to my mind:
a) the file you are trying to open is damaged. When you get the file back to original PC and try to open it there, it would not be possible to open it there either in such case
b) the file format is incompatible for the offline station - the files have been measured with a newer version of Clarity and you try to open them on an older version

In the first case I am afraid I would have no solution to access the data, but I would check the PC on which it was measured for disc damage (bad sectors etc.). In the second case, I would advise to update the offline version to the same version as the Clarity you measured the data on. The installer is available freely on our website, accessible after login (when your account has s/n of your station filled in). Use the Clarity Full installer (not Clarity Lite) for the offline version.

Best Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Mentlí­k
DataApex

hselia

Re: File read error

Post by hselia »

I noticed the version difference short after posting. I did an update a few minutes ago and everything works now as suggested.

Thanks anyway for the quick response and sorry for posting - it was my fault.
Gerd Klaassen