Automatic shutdown on Clarity with Agilent HPLC

You can discuss anything concerning Clarity in this section.
gelli

Automatic shutdown on Clarity with Agilent HPLC

Post by gelli »

Hello,
we are using Clarity on an Agilent HPLC system through the ICF controls.
Since most of of our customers are working overnight with their Agilent HPLCs, due to the high number of samples to be processed in a single run, we need the possibility for Clarity to stop the HPLC (i.e. switching off lamp, pump and thermostat) at the end of the run. ChemStation has a STANDBY option, which is programmed in the sequence parameters for this, and I tried to find out something similar on Clarity but I wasn't able to get the desired effect.
I tried to use the Event tab in the method, with the "shutdown" command but Clarity went stuck after the end of the first sample (probably, using ICF is preventig it to work properly). In the sequence window, I wanted to use the "Run Program" and "Program to run" columns in order to achieve this, but, of course, there wasn't such a program available (at least, I could neither find it, nor I am able to write it down by myself...)
At present, we managed to use a last line in the sequence, calling a fake method (0 mL/min flow rate, no temperature control, 0uL injection) which does part of the job, but, unfortunately, there is no way to switch off the UV lamp, for instance.
Can you somehow please help me with this issue?
Gianluca Elli

Ivan Vins
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

Re: Automatic shutdown on Clarity with Agilent HPLC

Post by Ivan Vins »

Recommended approach for system shutdown after end of sequence is to create a shutdown method (with lamp off and stopped pumps) to be run as a last one in the sequence. However, the Agilent ICF control does not allow to switch lamps off from method (this was possible in the older Agilent 1100/1200 control), this could be overcome be sending a shutdown from the method event table.

Note the settings to be observed:

The Method sending options (in System Configuration, large icon lower right corner) – the option should be (default) Confirm method sending or Do not send method for this to work. In case the “Send method” is selected, the currently opened method on Instrument window will be applied after finishing the sequence, which may turn the system back on.
Fig. 1
Fig. 1

The behavior of the Agilent ICF control at shutdown is governed by the options set in the ICF Setup

The shutdown from Event table performs the same operations as the Instrument window closing, you need to check the Shutdown pumps/detectors when the instrument is closed.
Fig. 2
Fig. 2

The shutdown method to be run as last in sequence need to have the respective command in Event table at suitable time:
Fig.3
Fig.3
Ivan Vinš