getting older Shimadzu HPLC up and running

You can discuss anything concerning Clarity in this section.
ucsdhplc

getting older Shimadzu HPLC up and running

Post by ucsdhplc »

Ok. First, please forgive me if I am posting this in the incorrect place.

So I've been tasked with getting a recently donated HPLC system up and running. As far as I know the system had been running well at a local biotech firm. My experience has been with typical inorganic instrumentation (e.g., icp-ms, icp-oes, etc.) so this is new territory for me, though I am familiar with the underlying principles of LC.

Now the components are a Shimadzu pump (LC-8A), uv-vis detector (SPD-10A), and controller (CBM-20A). Both the pump and detector connect to the controller unit by what appears to be an optical cable and the controller has an ethernet connection out to connect to the network or a dedicated computer.

The initial goal of this instrument is to make it a prep scale system to create in-house standards by fractionating biodiesel. I believe there is also a fraction collector in the lab as well.

So my question is will the Clarity software allow me all the controls I need to accomplish this task (and be flexible to be repurposed in the future)? Are there additional converters/items that I need to have the system work with the Clarity software. I hope to purchase software within the week to get started on this project.

Help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Daniel Mentlik
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

Re: getting older Shimadzu HPLC up and running

Post by Daniel Mentlik »

Dear Chris,
the LC system from Shimadzu will work with Clarity without major problems - all the components you have mentioned are controlled by Clarity. For the control you would need Clarity software and LC Control module, for pricing please contact Mrs. Debra Cree, our local distributor in US (http://www.dataapex.com/where_to_buy.ph ... vailable=A). Additional items may include a communication cable between computer and CBM-20A if there is none available, other than that, I do not know about any others.

Please check the firmware versions of the modules in the set - they should be available on the screen of the controller unit. Minimum firmware versions to work with Clarity are listed here: http://www.dataapex.com/product.php?id= ... u-hplc.php
Also please check the type of the fraction collector you have available, chances are it may be controlled too with no additional costs (LC control also covers the control of fraction collectors) - se this list of currently controlled devices, section fraction collectors: http://www.dataapex.com/product.php?id= ... collectors

Clarity software in such configuration will be flexible enough to be re-purposed in the future if needs be - you could change the chromatograph or add more chromatographs pretty easily.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.
Best Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Mentlí­k
DataApex