Auto directory/folder creation

You can discuss anything concerning Clarity in this section.
lcrouch

Auto directory/folder creation

Post by lcrouch »

Hello,

I have set up a sequence template that automatically names the files as follows:

%s\%3n %Q.%i %D %T

So this creates a new directory based on the sequence name, then stores each chromatogram using the 3 digit number with ID, injection number, date and time. This all works great. We usually call our sequnce files 13xxxx e.g. 130001, 130002, etc. So we get for example \130001\001 Blank.01 01-02-13 13-43

Recently, the analyst saved the Sequence file with an 'odd' name, 'SEQ130034 01.02.13 .seq' . Clarity allowed that sequence name and saved the file. Notice it had a space at the end. So when Clarity saved the chromatograms, its created a directory called 'SEQ130034 01.02.13 '. The chromatograms were all saved okay within this directory, but Clarity cannot see the folder itself, so no chromatograms can be opened. Also it creates a problem with windows (we are running win xp) which does not allow spaces at the end of directory names, so the directory cannot be renamed or deleted now either.

Clarity should either not allow spaces at the end of the sequence names when saved or it should ignore the space when creating new directories to avoid this error.

Thanks,
Lewis Crouch

Daniel Mentlik
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

Re: Auto directory/folder creation

Post by Daniel Mentlik »

Dear Lewis,
thank you for reporting this, this is clearly not the intended behavior. I have inserted this as an ISS51810 into our internal bug tracking database, to be amended in next version of Clarity.

As for the immediate problem you have with the directory already created, there may be a way how to rename it:
  • Start the command line from the Windows XP start menu
  • Browse to the directory where the wrong subdirectory is located
  • use the

Code: Select all

dir /x
    command to get the list of subdirectories in the current directory. Locate the name of the subdirectory in question and find the DOS short name (8 characters, using the ~ in the name)
  • use standard dos commands to rename/delete the directory - for renaming, use the

ren
    or

rename
    command, with the short name of the directory, to rename it to something up to 8 characters long.
  • You should then be able to work with that directory and files within from standard windows environment.
Please note that this might mess up with the batch-processing of the said sequence file, but at least the files should be accessible now.

If you will need help on the renaming part and the computer is connected to the Internet, let me know on support@dataapex.com, I can help you via remote support tool.
Daniel Mentlí­k
DataApex