Automatic System End?!!

You can discuss anything concerning Clarity in this section.
rpgibson

Automatic System End?!!

Post by rpgibson »

I am using the latest version of Clarity with a Gilson HPLC system (details of which are below), and am experience a problem with the software automatically shutting down; as the auto-sampler is set to run for 12hours this usually happens at 3am! Is there a setting I am missing which instructs the software to end?! I have eliminated other possible causes relating to the PC (anti-virus software turned off, ethernet card disabled) but each time I have returned (this has been a recurring problem) the computer itself is fine, but the Clarity software has logged itself off and is shut down. The HPLC system has an auto-sampler which is not controlled through Clarity, so it continues to load the samples regardless of whether the software running or not; so plenty of samples have been lost due to this software failure. I have included the part of the log file below and all looks fine; the sample is loaded, a complete run is achieved but instead of loading the next sample the system records an "End System" message.

Another, potentially alarming issue is that once the software has shut itself down, the pumps are still functioning! Does anyone have any ideas as I do not wish to loose any more samples or destroy my chiral columns!

Thanks.

System details:
Gilson HPLC
306 Pump
231 XL Sampling injector
118 UV/Vis

Log file excerpt;

ok 21/02/2012 09:31:37 4 Administrator Instrument 1 Files Open File c:\Clarity\Work1\#####.MET GILSON HPLC
ok 21/02/2012 09:31:36 4 Administrator Instrument 1 Files Open File c:\Clarity\Projects\Work1.PRJ GILSON HPLC
ok 21/02/2012 09:31:36 2 Administrator Instrument 1 Instrument Open Instrument GILSON HPLC
ok 21/02/2012 09:31:14 0 System System Start System, Version: 3.0.7.662 GILSON HPLC <---Manually starting the software again the next day!
ok 21/02/2012 03:25:02 1 System System End System GILSON HPLC
ok 21/02/2012 03:09:26 19713 Administrator Instrument 1 Detector INT7 Detector 1 (SN 0-6693): Method sent to sub-device. GILSON HPLC
ok 21/02/2012 03:09:26 19716 Administrator Instrument 1 Acquisition Waiting: Acquisition was started by digital input GILSON HPLC
ok 21/02/2012 03:08:02 5 Administrator Instrument 1 Files Save File c:\Clarity\Work1\DATA\17 0 0238AM 21_02_2012.PRM GILSON HPLC
Dr Robert Gibson

Daniel Mentlik
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

Re: Automatic System End?!!

Post by Daniel Mentlik »

Dear Robert,
I am not sure I would be able to shut down Clarity at a set time even if I wanted to, there is nothing like "End System at set time" or "End System on set condition" option in Clarity. The whole case seems little bit weird, because while closing Clarity, the log would contain "Close Instrument" event first and then "End System", or nothing in case of the crash. No "Close Instrument" event is seen in your log excerpt, though. Also, the Gilson pumps would stop its flow if Clarity was ended normally, on Close Instrument, the flow for them is shut down. The situation suggests that the "Close Instrument" event didn't appear at all.

Thus, if you could send us the full diagnostic files to support@dataapex.com , we will look into the matter. The full set of diagnostic files consists of:
c:\clarity\clarity.cfg
c:\clarity\clarity.dsk
c:\clarity\systeminfo.txt
c:\clarity\badtrace.txt and all *.dmp files (may not be present, they are created during some problems only)
c:\clarity\log\ *.audit for the days the problem appeared (21/02/2012 in your case)
method (.met) and sequence (*.seq) files related to the problem

Also, the situation very much resembles something which might happen when the computer is suddenly restarted, which happens mainly because of automatic updates restart. I would thus advice you to double check if the automatic updates feature for the computer OS is really disabled, and check the task scheduler if there is no forced system restart set.

Best Regards,
Daniel Mentlik
Daniel Mentlí­k
DataApex

ScottHorn

Post by ScottHorn »

I had a similar experience with a different chromatography data system. It would sometimes shut down on overnight runs, and always around the same time. Mr. Mentlik gives good advice when he says to check the automatic update settings first, as that was the cause of the problem in my situation. If that doesn't work, might I suggest temporarily setting your computer's clock to just before 3am, and then starting the same sequence (injecting blank samples), and watch for something to happen as the time hits 3am. That's a lot easier than actually staying till 3am to see what happens.

Scott Horn
Scott Horn

rpgibson

Post by rpgibson »

Thanks for the replies. I had already turned off the Windows automatic updates, virus scanning/updates etc as I have had a similar problem with other equipment in the past due to this. On a closer inspection of the Windows log file, I found that there was a process running which was due to update at about 3am; this was some bloatware bundled with the PC printer (HP). Having stopped and un-installed this, all seems to be running fine now. I would definitely recommend everyone to check their automatic update settings for not only Windows, but for all the software installed on your computer and to stop any unnecessary processes; I thought I had, but it seems one slipped through the net on this occasion!
Dr Robert Gibson

Daniel Mentlik
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

Post by Daniel Mentlik »

Hello,
I'm glad this solved.
Thank you for letting us know.

Best Regards,
Daniel Mentlik
Daniel Mentlí­k