HP 5890

You can discuss anything concerning Clarity in this section.
hijaz163

HP 5890

Post by hijaz163 »

HP 5890 Series II

Please advice how to connect the mentioned GC to clarity software, was not able to find analog output from GC. There is only IN & Out cables for communication with integrator.
Kamal Hijaz

Ivan Vins
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

HP 5890

Post by Ivan Vins »

Dear Kamal,

the analog data outputs on 5890 II are located on the right top side of the GC (under a removable cover). There are usually three 12 pin rectrangle connectors marked Signal 1, Signal 2 and Remote. When specified in order, a connecting cable to Clarity A/D board equiped with those connectors is supplied. It can also be ordered separately. I am sending you a wiring diagram for this cable (in separate E-mail, this conference does not allow for enclosures), so you can prepare it or locate the corresponding wires on your integrator cable.

Please note, digital data acquisition from 5890 II is also available with the optional GC control module for Clarity, in case the GC is equiped with the RS232 communication port.

Best regards

Ivan Vins

DataApex
Ivan Vinš

tempuscrit

Re: HP 5890

Post by tempuscrit »

Estimate: Ten years after this discussion, I encounter the same problem. I want to buy and use the Software clarity but they do not need to do so. I have a HP5890 series II without Rs232 via remote connected to HP3395 integrator , which is connected to the PC RS232 . I would not use the integrator and directly use the Clarity software. Could you please help me. Thank you so much
Martin

Daniel Mentlik
DataApex Support
DataApex Support

Re: HP 5890

Post by Daniel Mentlik »

Dear Martin,
thank you for your interest.
Generally you have two options:
a) get Clarity (or Clarity Lite) with Colibrick A/D Converter; this option will skip the integrator and get the data from the GC to the PC. You will still be forced to fill in the GC methods in the GC itself, but other than that you will be able to evaluate the data and synchronize the starts from the Clarity environment. For this solution you need:
  • Clarity or Clarity Lite
  • Colibrick A/D Converter (please specify how many detector signals you are using)
b) try to get the HPIB RS232 card for the HP5890 somewhere on the market. You can then use Clarity with GC Control module (no A/D converter necessary); once again this option skips the integrator and gets the data to Clarity. Moreover, you can develop methods in the PC and send them to the GC, use different methods easily for different analyses and also watch some of the GC parameters (temperatures, pressures) in Clarity. For this solution you need:
  • Clarity
  • GC Control Module
HPIB RS232 cards are relatively hard to get, but they can still be found on second hand market. They are HP/Agilent product number 19257-60010 or 19257-60015, others are not working for transmitting the RS232 communication. You may also need ribbon cable (Agilent p/n 19257- 60500) and back pannel (Agilent p/n 19257- 60020). Unfortunately we do not supply these parts. It may be easier (and also cheaper) to go with the first variant.

For price estimate please contact Clarity distributor in your country.

Best Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Mentlí­k
DataApex